Thursday, November 10, 2005

Compact change

Last week I watched the film ''The end of affair'' and as usually lent an attentive ear to dialogues. One line was especially striking. ''You changed your newspaper once and you soon got used to it.'' This is how wife tried to explain to her husband dealing with huge changes.

The problem is that nowadays people don’t change newspapers, but newspapers are in constant change. Ready or not, someday you get something completely new instead of your good, old paper and have to get used to it. Like I have to get used to new ''The Wall Street Journal Europe'', which went compact some weeks ago. WSJ is my favorite daily, read both in print and online, but today I’m confused for the first time, because it takes much more minutes then ever before to find what I need. Where’s the A-head with its unique features? Where’s Networking section?

As an industry insider I understand the nature of such transition, but as a reader I repeat every day while opening my WSJE: ''God save my New Yorker''.

No comments: